There exists one very old Frisian manuscript named the Oera Linda book. It's forewords were written in AD 1256, although its main section was a diary kept about 2000 years, which was put together 560-558 BC.
The authenticity of the Oera Linda Book has not been proved nor disproved.
There is even evidence that most parts of the book are based on ancient events regarding the Lowlands of Europe. Prove of this we can find in the writings and retellings of the writings of Homer, Strabo, Tachitus and even in Celts and German histories.
Against the prevailing opinion of Historians, there are many reasons to believe that "The Oera Linda Book" is one of the most important books about European history from about 3000 BC to at least to about 500 BC.
Although the last chapter - actually the first chapter - of it was written 1256 AD, it was composed to its preserved form 803 AD. The most important part of it - "The Book of Adela's Followers" - was written from 560 BC to 558 BC, but was based on notes that had been kept at least 2000 years.
When we compare the story in "The Oera Linda Book" with other stories which occurred in the same time (about 2,200 BC) in the Middle East (Egypt and Mesopotamia) we can't deny that the occurrences must be based on reality.
From our point of view, the most important single event described in it was the destruction of Atland *, which happened 2194 BC.
* In my opinion is Atland not the same as Atlantis, believed by many historians, but the middle and north part of the present North Sea. There is evidence that Great Britain and Europe were once one continent in the past with a delta between the present Dutch and British coast. The river Rhine (Rene) in the lowlands was at that time connected with the Teems river near London or possibly the Tyre river near New Castle in North-Humbria England..
The North Sea is still at present day a shallow sea (between 30 and 130 meters deep). In the Dutch territory of the North Sea there are still, so called, Sandbanks (Doggers bank and others) on witch once trees grew, most of them were once inhabited too. In my opinion was Atland situated in the present North Sea and sunk in a period of global catastrophic events around 2,200 BC.
This is the just the time when also the Akkadian (Sumer) empire fell in ruins. This is the time when the first, and in many respects the greatest kingdom of Egypt was transformed into the first Interregnum. This is the time, when the great Indus nation with its towns Mohenjo-daro and Harappa got its sudden end. This is the time when in China Emperor Yu ruled, during his reign a Super Nova was seen in the sky and stones fell from heaven.
ALL this events took place at the same time, about 2,200 BC.
There is a standstill of several centuries all over ancient civilized world, including such faraway places as China and North-Western Europe. The Holocene climate was globally changed from warm and wet to cold and dry. There are impact craters in Argentina and Estonia, whose age is around 4000 years.
Many ancient stories from all over the world mention a global disaster with stones falling from heaven, dust and fire. Even historians are aware of a global catastrophe about 2,200 BC.
Read more at http://www.tilmari.pp.fi/tilmari2.htm
The people who survived the great tsunamis, that washed over at least the Canary Islands, Madeira, Azores, Ireland, Britain, escaped to the Mediterranean. First they bought - yes bought, not occupied by force, Crete.
They brought their civilization, the Minoan one, after their leader Minno to Crete. When during next centuries, the world slowly recovered from the catastrophe, they as great seafarers, conquered the whole area, that became to be called Indo-European. In East they went to India, in South they captured the coastal areas of Mediterranean.*
In Europe they conquered the whole coast from Italy, through Iberia until the Southern Sweden (Skaneland) in North and Lethuania in North-East. Only the Greeks tried to stop them. And the thick forests of Twiskland (Germany) were a hinder for them, especially because behind them there were still more dangerous people, the Finns, and the Magyars.
Most skeptics are telling around that in the Oera Linda Book is written that the Frisians fantasize that they are the ancestors of MOST civilizations but that's not true and is not written in the WHOLE book. These kind of skepticism is only based on the, in their eyes, thrilling and for historians "strange" interpretation of our known ancient history. Maybe they are afraid to rewrite the history of Europe again.
Alexander the Great destroyed their culture in the East, and the Roman Empire in Southern Europe. The Romans never conquered the Frisians in the Lowlands even they tried to do so several times. In the 8th century AD the Roman Catholic church tried to conquer the Frisians but they murdered St. Boniface in 754 AD. *Later when Christianity began to disperse to the North in the 11th century Charlemagne and others made havoc of the rest of their culture but their language survived until this day.
* born c. 675 , Wessex, England, died June 5, 754 , Dokkum, Frisia [now in The Netherlands]
Their last resort was Friesland (Frya's people) in Holland, Germany and Denmark. The Frisian language gave much to the later Dutch, Danish, German and Swedish languages. Even at present day the Frisians in Holland, Denmark and Germany still speak the same Frisian language.
I give the skeptics of The Oera Linda Book some points to consider :
1. If we had no written history of the, so called, Golden Age in Holland (16th and 17th century) and your forefathers tells you the following story :
Once, a long time ago, our "small" country, at the border of the North-Sea, was the most important and powerful seafaring nation of the World. At that time we were the first nation who introduced global trade-companies called VOC and WIC (the first Multinationals), during our exploration of the World we made a trade-union with Japan, we conquered the Indonesian archipel in the Great Ocean, we conquered a part of the South-American coast (Suriname, and some islands), we build a trade-post in Manhattan (Peter Stuyvesant) at present New-York in the USA, we conquered parts of present Argentina, we conquered parts of West and South-Africa, we discovered Tasmania, present Australia (Abel Tasman). At that time, on top of our world power we owned as much land as 900 times the size of our own country at the North Sea (The Netherlands) itself.
Would you believe them ?
The reader can imagine that most of us would not believe this story and consider them as fairytale to fantastic to be true because The Netherlands is too small to have such power and rich history. But we know that it is the truth because we have the written history in books and prove in stone ruins left behind in all these countries.
2. Why do most skeptics believe unconditionally the stories in The Bible ? (consider that the story in the Oera Linda Book, The Eddas and many others, are much older than the Bible. Religion is not a privilege reserved for the Near East alone).
3. Why do most skeptics accept most stories of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, India, China and other ancient Nations as true ?
4. Why did most skeptics not believe in the story of the Trojan Wars until Troy was discovered in the19th century ?
Consider that most Myths and Sages from all over the world are based on "real" events who took place in ancient times, including the "fantastic" stories about Giants and Monsters.
The time has come that we accept these stories as fact and not struggle with each other about little details. When we do so we can search together and someday we will find evidence of Ancient History.
click the image to enlarge
4. Written at Liudwerd, in the year 3449 after Atland was submerged - that is, according to the Christian reckoning, the year 1256.
3449 -1256 -1 (no 0) = 2194 BC.
1. Minno was an ancient sea-king. He was a seer and a wizard, and he gave laws to the Kretans. He was born at Lindawrda, and after all his wanderings he had the happiness to die at Lindahem.
17. "Ewa" means that sentiment which is implanted in the breast of every man in order that he may know what is right and what is wrong... "Ewa" has also another meaning; that is, tranquil, smooth...
18. ..."Ewa" is another symbol of the World, who remains always just and unchangeable.
19. "Ewa", eternal and unalterable, the sign of wisdom and rectitude, must be sought after by all pious people, and must be possessed by all judges.
1. When Nyhellenia, whose real name was Minerva, was well established, and the Krekalanders loved her as well as our own people did, there came some princes and priests to her burgh and asked Minerva where her possessions lay.
2. Nyhellenia answered "... What I have inherited is the love of wisdom, justice, and freedom...".
3. The gentlemen went away laughing, and saying "Your humble servants, wise Hellenia."
4. But they missed their object, for the people took up this name as a name of honour... the good Krekalanders understood at once that it was calumny.
1. When I came away from Athenia with my followers, we arrived at an island named by my crew Kreta, because of the cries that the inhabitants raised on our arrival. When they really saw that we did not come to make war, they were quiet, so that at last I was able to buy a harbour in exchange for a boat and some iron implements, and a piece of land.
2. When we had been settled there a short time, and they discovered that we had no slaves, they were very much astonished; and when I explained to them that we had laws which made everybody equal, they wished to have the same...
1. Before the bad time came our land was the most beautiful in the World. The sun rose higher, and there was seldom frost. The trees and shrubs produced various fruits, which are now lost. In the fields we had not only barley, oats, and rye, but wheat which shone like gold, and which could be baked in the sun's rays. The years were not counted, for one was as happy as another.
2. On one side we were bounded by the World Sea, on which no one but us might or could sail; on the other side we were hedged in by the broad Twiskland, through which Finda's people dared not come on account of the thick forests and the wild beasts.
Twiskland = Tyskland = Germany
1. During the whole summer the sun had been hidden behind the clouds, as if unwilling to look upon the Earth. There was perpetual calm, and the damp mist hung like a wet sail over the houses and marshes. The air was heavy and oppressive, and in men's hearts was neither joy nor cheerfulness.
2. In the midst of this stillness the Earth began to tremble as if she was dying. The mountains opened to vomit forth fire and flames. Some sank into the bosom of the Earth, and in other places mountains rose out of the plain.
Aldland, called Atland by the Sturian navigators who lived there, disappeared, and the wild waves rose so high over hill and dale that everything was buried in the sea. Many people were swallowed up by the Earth, and others who had escaped the fire perished in the water.
Atland = Aldland = Oldland.
3. It was also in Finda's land that the Earth vomited fire, and in Twiskland (Germany). Whole forests were burned one after the other, and when the wind blew from that quarter our land was covered with ashes. Rivers changed their course, and at their mouths new islands were formed of sand and drift.
4. During three years this continued, but at length it ceased, and forests became visible. Many countries were submerged, and in other places land rose above the sea, and the wood was destroyed through the half of Twiskland. Troops of Finda's people came and settled in the empty places. Our dispersed people were exterminated or made slaves. Then watchfulness was doubly impressed upon us, and time taught us that union is force.
5. In the year 101 (2093 BC) after the submersion of Aldland a people came out of the east. That people was driven by another. Behind us, in Twiskland, they fell into disputes, divided into two parties, and each went its own way. Of the one no account has come to us, but the other came in the back of our Skenland, which was thinly inhabited, particularly the upper part. Therefore they were able to take possession of it without contest, and as they did no other harm, we would not make war about it.
Skenland = Skane/Skone (Southern Sweden). 101 years = 2194 -101 = 2093BC.
As mentioned above the time in which Aldland sunk (2,194 BC) and the end of most civilizations in the East (Akkad, Egypt and India) can/t be a coincidence and is too remarkable to be accidental. Even when we consider that some parts of this manuscript are beside the truth then there are still too many parts left that can be compared with other ancient writers from Greece and Rome, including the dates in which the stories took place.
When we read some of these stories from Plato and Hesiod we can see that the story of the sunken Altland and the fire of the lands (2,194BC( were also known in later times in Egypt (Solon) and Greece.
The Priest of Sais, a city in the Nile Delta which was a central point of contact with Greece, to Solon, Greek statesman:
"There have been and will be many and diverse destructions of mankind, Of which the greatest are by fire and water, and lesser ones by countless other means. "For in truth, the story that is told In your country as well as ours, How once upon a time Phaethon, Son of Helios, Yoked his Father's chariot, And because he was unable to drive it along the course taken by his father Burnt up all that was upon the Earth, And himself perished by a thunderboltThat story, as it is told, has the fashion of a legend. "But the truth of it lies In the occurrence of a shifting of the bodies in the heavens, Which move around the Earth, And a destruction of the things on the Earth by fierce fire, Which recurs at long intervals.
This could have been a notion by one of today's astronomers.
"At such times All they that dwell on the mountains and in high places Suffer destruction more than those who dwell near the sea. And in our case, The Nile, our savior in other ways, Saves us also from this calamity by rising high. And when on the other hand, the Gods purge the Earth with a flood of waters, All the herdsmen and shepherds that are in the mountains are saved, But those in the cities of your land are swept into the sea by the streams. Wheras in our country, Neither then, nor at any other time, Does the water pour down over our fields from above; On the contrary, It all tends naturally to well up from below. Hence it is for these reasons, That what is preserved here is reckoned to be the most ancient. ...And if any event has occurred, That is noble or great or in any way conspicuous, Whether it be in your country or in ours, Or in some other place of which we know by report, All such events are recorded from old And preserved here in our temples. Wheras your people and the others Are but newly equipped, every time, with letters and all such arts as civilized states require. And when, After the usual interval of years, Like a plague, The Flood of Heaven comes sweeping down anew upon your people, It leaves none of you but the unlettered and uncultured, So that you become young as ever, with no knowledge of all that happened in old times, in this land or in your own."
Extract from Eberhard Zanger's translation of Plato's Timaeus, from his book "The Flood from Heaven: Deciphering the Atlantis Legend", William Morrow & Company, 1992
In his book the Theogony, which sets out the descent of the gods, the Greek poet Hesiod recorded an account of a battle between Zeus and the Titans which appears to be a record of an impact event. Not surprisingly, the battle takes place in Tartarus, in the Atlantic.
"The boundless sea rang terribly around, And the earth crashed loudly: Wide Heaven was shaken and groaned, And high Olympus reeled from its foundation Under the charge of the undying gods, And a heavy quaking reached dim Tartarus And the deep sound of their feet in the fearful onset And of their hard missiles. So, then, they launched their grievous shafts upon one another, And the cry of both armies as they shouted Reached to starry heaven; And they met together with a great battle-cry. "Then Zeus no longer held back his might; But straight his heart was filled with fury And he showed forth all his strength. From Heaven and from Olympus he came forthwith, Hurling his lightning: The bold flew thick and fast From his strong hand Together with thunder and lightning, Whirling an awesome flame. The life-giving earth crashed around in burning, And the vast wood crackled loud with fire all about. All the land seethed, And Ocean's streams And the unfruitful sea. The hot vapour lapped round the earthborn Titans: Flame unspeakable rose to the bright upper air: The flashing glare of the thunder-stone and lightning Blinded their eyes for all that there were strong. Astounding heat seized Chaos: And to see with eyes and to hear the sound with ears It seemed even as if Earth and wide Heaven above came together; For such a mighty crash would have arisen If Earth were being hurled to ruin, And Heaven from on high were hurling her down; So great a crash was there While the gods were meeting together in strife. Also the winds brought rumbling earthquake and duststorm, Thunder and lightning and the lurid thunderbolt, Which are the shafts of great Zeus, And carried the clangour and the warcry Into the midst of the two hosts. An horrible uproar of terrible strife arose: Mighty deeds were shown and the battle inclined. But until then, They kept at one another And fought continually in cruel war. And amongst the foremost Cottus and Briareos And Gyes insatiate for war raised fierce fighting: Three hundred rocks, One upon another, They launched from their strong hands And overshadowed the Titans with their missiles, And buried them beneath the wide-pathed earth, And bound them in bitter chains When they had conquered them by their strength For all their great spirit, As far beneath the earth to Tartarus. For a brazen anvil Falling down from heaven nine nights and days Would reach the earth upon the tenth: And again, A brazen anvil Falling from earth nine nights and days Would reach Tartarus upon the tenth. Round it runs a fence of bronze, And night spreads in triple line all about it like a neck-circlet, While above grow the roots of the earth and unfruitful sea. There by the counsel of Zeus who drives the clouds The Titan gods are hidden under misty gloom, In a dank place where are the ends of the huge earth.
Extract from Hugh G. Evelyn-White's translation of Hesiod's Theogony,
There is more prove than disprove that The Oera Linda Book is an important report of the European history.
MOST PARTS OF THE OERA LINDA BOOK IS THE REAL HISTORY OF EUROPE, THE LOWLANDS AND THE FRISIAN PEOPLE.
Keep this website alive, a Donation will be highly appreciated
Please consider a donation supporting our efforts.
Please report broken links to the
This is a Non-Commercial Web page, © 1998-2011 L.C.Geerts The Netherlands all rights reserved.
It is strictly forbidden to publish or copy anything of my book without permission of the author, permission is granted for the recourses, for personal use only.