1. Dedication of the book to Philocrates.
2. Preliminary action:
(a) The proposal of the Librarian to liberate the Jewish captives in exchange for a book.
(b) The emancipation.
(c) The letter of Philadelphus to Eleazar.
(d) The reply.
(e) The names of the committee appointed to translate the book.
3. Description of the royal presents:
(a) The table (probably the most elaborate piece of furniture ever produced).
(b) The other presents.
4. Description of Jerusalem.
(a) The temple (and the water-works system).
(b) The ceremony.
(c) The citadel.
(d) The city.
(e) The countryside.
5. Eleazar's farewell.
6. Eleazar's explanation of the law (this is profound wisdom).
7. The reception.
8. The banquet (72 questions and answers).
9. The translation of the Book.